From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:39:00 -0500
John Smyth wrote:

>For fun I will be posting lists of the treasures I've found that may be
>languishing in your local thrifts.  I forgot to mention Harmonia Mundi
>and Argo are also class acts all the way.

Whenever I see mention of thrift stores...I feel compelled to tell of
some of the amazing things I have found.

Within the last year...about a dozen of the Louisville records (sealed),
works by Rochberg, Piston, et al; a boxed set of Radio Nederlands discs
with music by H. Andriessen, Badings, et al for $2.98; some old Uranias
including a Copland Appalachian Spring and Piston Incredible Flutist
and, in a most delightful recent find...a bunch of scores at one of our
local 1/2 price book stores.

Wm Schuman: Violin Concerto; Mohaupt: Symphony; Vaughan Williams Symphonies
4,6; Menotti: Violin Concerto, Sibelius: Symphonies 4,6; Ancelin: Symphony;
Rachmaninoff: Symphonies 2,3; Lees: Etudes for Piano and Orchestra, etc.
I spent about $100 and got over 30 scores.  Amazing.

Also picked up a 3 volume reference work on Contemporary British composers.

Of course, if one factors in the amount of time I spend looking through
stuff that doesn't interest me...

I should add that most of the used stuff I find online costs quite a bit
more...

Karl