From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 17:14:36 -0400
Patricia Price wrote:

>For specifically Czech recordings of Janacek, you might check out what's
>available on Supraphon.  My Suk recordings on Supraphon all use Czech
>orchestras, and my copy of the Glagolitic Mass, although conducted by
>Charles Mackerras, is performed by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra and
>Prague Philharmonic Chorus.  I'm pretty sure that Supraphon has released
>Jenufa and The Makropulos Affair.

They have.  And Charles Mackerras has begun an opera series with them, I
think.  I haven't kept up with it, but I think he's done a new Jenufa and
maybe a Katya Kabanova, both with Benackova.  Can't remember for sure.

There are 2 Supraphon Jenufas that I know of.  The first mono is with
Vogel, Janacek's biographer.  Then there are two Czech productions in
stereo: one with Gregor on EMI, the other with Jilek on Supraphon.
They all have strengths and weaknesses.  The Vogel and Jilek have good
Jenufas, the Gregor not so good, etc.  I haven't listened to them in a
while, having gone to the Mackerras/London camp a while ago, much as I
like the Supraphons (and I will return to them for their authenticity and
grit).  That Mackerras/London one uses Janacek's original ending rather
than the one composed by Korarovic.  I like both endings.

I really like Gregor's Makropulos Affair on Supraphon but I really really
like Mackerras's on London.  The Vienna Philharmonic is simply overwhelming
and irresistable in this score.  (They're in his Jenufa, too.)

Speaking of the Mass, there are many good recordings of this.  But
anyone who loves this music should at least hear the Mackerras recording
on Chandos that uses the Wingfield edition of the original score.  This
restores many of the cuts Janacek made in order to accommodate less than
great performers at the premiere and other production problems.  The
original has a bit more music (including a solo for 3 tympani), some more
complex rhythms, etc.  You can, of course, judge which you like better--and
you might like other performances better--but, as I said, if you like this
music, the original is well worth hearing.  (And Mackerras did not use this
version in his Supraphon recording.)

Roger Hecht