From:
Aryeh Oron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:02:22 -0800
Mitch Friedfeld asked:

>Have the Goldbergs been recorded on any other non-traditional
>instruments When I say "non-traditional," I'm thinking of anything
>other than harpsichord, fortepiano, and modern piano.

The Bach Cantatas Website includes a comprehensive discography of Goldberg
Variations BWV 988.  See: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVD/BWV988.htm

Among the 342 different recordings of the GV, you can find not only
piano, harpsichord, clavichord, or fortepiano, but also:

Other keyboard instruments: double-keyboard piano (G. Johansen), synthesizer
(J. Spiegelman, S. Miyao), organ (J. Guillou, K. van Tricht, B. Lagace,
F. Volke, A. Bezuijen, F. Bravo, M. Curlee, H. Banton, T.  Mechler, E.
Feller, C. Ennis, T. Weiser, J. Sonnentheil, H. Alberchet), 2 pianos
(arranged by Rheinberger & Reger, and by R. Holloway; several renditions),
2 cimbaloms (Szakaly & Farkas).

Other instruments: guitar (L. Harting-Ware, K. Rodarmar, J. Eotovos),
lute (G. Toth), arrangements for duo-guitars (Ohlsen & Oldenburg),
accordion (S. Hussomg, O. Farmen, R. Larsen, W. Dimetrik, M. Vayrynen).

Ensembles: string trio (arranged by Sitkovsky, several renditions),
string orchestra, rock guitar (J. Akkerman), brass ensemble (Canadian
Brass), chamber ensemble (B. Labadie. B. Hudson, A. Duczmal, Ensemble
Resonanz, M. Bitsch), handbells ensemble (Chamber Ringing Soloists),
Baroque ensemble (Parnassi Musici), flute, viola & cello trio (V.  Kraneis
+), saxophone quartet (Danish Saxophone Quartet, F. Schuessler +),
woodwind ensemble (Homecoming Woodwind Ensemble).

Jazz improvisation (J. Lewis, U. Cain, J. Loussier).

Enjoy,

Aryeh Oron
Bach and Jazz Music Fan
WebMaster of Bach Cantatas Website: http://www.bach-cantatas.com