From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:31:14 +0100
First time I heard the Fifth on record was with MR conducting (DG, about
fifteen years ago).  MR hasn't changed his intrepretation of the fifth
since then.  I haven't had a look in the score fro many years, but I do
remember that the coda of the final movement is played much slower than
indicated.  I always thought of MR's tempi as authorised by the composer,
but I have had my doubts about this coda.  If you play it as indicated, it
seems much more ironic and you get the feeling that DSCH been fooling us
throughout the symphony.  I prefer it that way....

Mikael