From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:25:10 -0800
Mitch Friedfeld said:

> And would you believe it: the 471-seat arena-style theater was
> sold out...weeks in advance!

As I reported a while ago, the Met's operas are shown here in South
Africa at Cinema Nouveau theatres.  I went to Salome, and my companion
and I were the only people in the theatre (cost: equiv.  of about $3 per
ticket) Damnation of Faust is currently showing, and Thais is due soon,
which I plan to see.

I am still making plans to visit Milan in June/July for a
once-in-a-lifetime attendance of Aida at La Scala.  But the finances
are formidable.  The cheapest seats for me and my daughter are equal
to two weeks' salary.  BTW, New Wave Travel in Toronto are advertising
a tour from Milan to Venice which includes Aida, Turandot, Carmen and
Gotterdammerung from 24 June to 2 July. I can only imagine what it will
cost.

"Gerhard Griesel" <[log in to unmask]>