From:
Ernie Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:59:27 -0000
Santu De Silva wrote:

>According to NPR, today is the birthday of both these great violinists,
>separated by 25 years.
>
>They also recounted an amazing story about the party following the
>debut performance of the 11-year-old Heifetz in Berlin, I believe.
>He was being pleaded to play the Mendelssohn, and there seemed to be
>no pianist who could do it.  But shortly, the story goes, there was a
>distinguished-looking gentleman who seated himself at the piano, offering
>to play the accompaniment.  It was Kreisler, who did it from memory!

There is also the story of Kreisler accompanied by Godowski attending a
concert given by a somewhat older Heifetz.  After one movement Kreisler
commented "Warm in here, isn't it?" "Only for violinists." was Godowski's
answer.

My own comment is that I agree with another great pianist: "Heifetz is
the greatest violinist who never moved my heart".

Ernie Smart