From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:15:13 PDT
Bob Draper wrote:

>I'll play 'Oberon' often.  'Die Zauberflote' will gather dust on the
>shelf.

Me thinks that Bob has provided us ample examples of his position on
Mozart's music.  Bob stated that he "doubted" that he would find Mozart's
other operas rewarding.  I think "doubt" is too weak a word.

Oberon is a fine work.  I have every Weber opera that's been recorded, and
I have two versions of Oberon.  When we switch to the Magic Flute, we enter
a world of masterful writing and inspiration.  I first became acquainted
with this work on a EMI disc of excerpts conducted by Klemperer.  I was
immediately "hooked", and I have not found as good a performance since.

This might just be applicable for myself, but I find that Mozart is a
composer whose music provides instant gratification.  If it doesn't grab
you on the first hearing, forget it.  Bob should probably stop wasting his
music money on Mozart and give him another try in another life.

Don Satz