From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:57:06 +0100
Wes Crone continues his hopeless self-defense, against all odds:

>Listen bud, I did say that it was an opinion.

No, you didn't.

>I believe Dr.  Bernard Chasan just wrote a posting in which he siad that
>his opinions on some music are actual "...objective fact" I believe he
>called it.  I like to think he was just kidding but you never know.

I think so too, but since his opinions coincide with mine on this matter,
I must praise his outstanding intelligence.

>As far as calling his music childish, I believe I have heard the words
>childish or childlike or otherwise used to describe the qualities of
>Mozart's music.

AHA!  Therein lies the rub, and now we can shake hands and leave this silly
thread behind us.  Childish, no.  Childlike yes.  There is, to me, a world
of difference in the two words.  Childish is a putdown, meaning immature,
spoiled, petulant.  Childlike is, to me, a wonderful compliment meaning
innocent, effortless, pure, a gift from God.  And there I agree, many of
Mozart's melodies have a childlike ease to them, reflecting his own
personality and life.

>You better watch your back for those Dittersdorf fans, Dave.  They don't
>take kindly to people criticizing their man for his usage of the "I-V-I"!!

You're right, and I've heard from some people about that, and I sincerely
apologize for the slight.  Actually, I am only familiar with one work of
his, a clarinet sonata, which struck me as highly not bad but nothing
special.  It's just that he has such a silly name.  Ditters von
Dittersdorf, indeed!

Dave
www.serafinotrio.com