From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:12:28 -0800
Steve writes of the Munch Berlioz Requiem:

>Which one?  He recorded it twice: once for RCA, once for DG.  The
>DG (Munch's later recording) is fine, but pales (as does every other
>recording) to Munch's first effort.  The RCA is hands-down my favorite
>performance of that work.  Everything it should be -- wild, wooly, and
>with the scent of limelight and greasepaint.  Terrific.

Great news.  It's the RCA.  Those of us into SACD are very lucky that
BMG is going thru the vaults and re-mastering many of the legendary RCA
Living Stereo recordings of the '50's and '60's.  Each SACD contains
material from *two* original Lp's, and--of course--will play on a regular
CD player, (don't see the point of this), and 2 channel SACD stereo with
an SACD player hooked up, or 3 channel SACD, (as many were recorded),
on a multi-channel system, with the SACD player set to multi-channel.
These SACDs are also selling from $7.99 to $12.99.  They're absolute
magic, even on my $200 SACD player, and *unquestionably* more seductive,
liquid, and warm than regular CD, even regular CD on a $3000 CD player.

John Smyth
Sac, CA