From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:33:13 -0700
It was nice to read Steve's comments about Louis Lane.  I got to know
Louis when he taught here at the University of Texas.  I remember sitting
with him in our rare book library going over the manuscript of Ravel's
Daphnis and Chloe.  He was preparing it for performance in Atlanta.  I
was impressed at how well he knew the published version and was able to
note several differences between the manuscript and the published score,
recalling the published score from memory.  What great stories Louis had
to tell...he worked with so many of the greats of his time.

On the subject of Szell, I should probably mention that a friend of mine
recently acquired a substantial collection of Szell broadcasts and is
making copies available.  If you want contact information, feel free to
write me off list.

  Karl