From:
Mike Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:03:52 -0700
Mitch Friedfeld asked:

>I recently attended a concert that began with Beethoven's Consecration
>of the House Overture.  And just today in the car, I heard the Egmont.
>Very nice music, and I'd like to learn more.  Is there such thing as a
>disc(s) that contains all the Beethoven overtures?  Recommendations
>please.

As I recall, the HvK/BPO overture recordings were released on a two-CD
set a long time ago, and I know that DDG later did a complete collection
with Abbado/VPO on two CDs.  The problem, of course, is the variability
across different works, widely-spaced recording sessions, and sometimes
even different halls.  The end result runs the continuum from "very good"
down to "nothing special," depending on the particular overture.

That said, I like having at least one complete collection--I have Abbado's.
Listening through all the Leonores is a fascinating study of Beethoven's
quest for perfection, and it's also nice to have the less common overtures
in one place.  I can never hear "King Stephen" without smiling, and the
opening of "Consecration of the House," if played correctly, is wonderful.
Someday, someone may do the rest of "Consecration" such that it fully
lives up to the potential of its opening...but I haven't heard that one
yet.

Cheers,

Mike Smith
Boulder, Colorado