From:
"Paul W. Hofreiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:24:12 -0500
I studied with Vincent from 1970-1976 and kept in close contact with him
until his death in 1987.  He was an absolutely marvellous teacher and human
being . . . one of the gentlest souls I've ever encountered.

His music is in the same idiom as other middle century symphonists such as
William Schuman, Peter Mennin, etc.  He wrote nine symphonies, 12 piano
sonatas, four string quartets, countless Parables for solo instruments
including carillon(!), a significant body of organ music, music for band,
and opera, etc.

I was blessed to be in contact with him when he was working on his
Reflective Keyboard Studies and Mirror Etudes.  I had the honor of a
complete performance of the Etudes by the composer at his home in 1977,
if memory serves well.  They are brilliant, thoughtful and poetical.
The technique of mirror harmony seemed to fit well within the context of
Persichetti's already established chromaticism.  They also feel "great" in
the hands to play!!!  His original purpose in offering the Studies was for
the purpose of developing equal dexterity in both hands in every sense
imaginable.  If you're familiar with his Twentieth Harmony text, you might
check his chapter on mirror harmony and you will see the latent potential
he was to realize fifteen years later.

He then went on to compose his Twelfth Sonata ("Mirror") which I've
performed in recital . . . some similar gestures from his Etudes and
Studies, and a Little Mirror Book for children with clever titles of pieces
such as "Rearview Mirror," and the like (this corresponds to his Little
Piano Book), and mirror pieces for harpsichord as well, as the harpsichord
was his main focus the last years of his life as he produced seven new
sonatas for that instrument 20 years after having composed his first in
the 1950s.

The works are all available from Elkan-Vogel, and I believe the Etudes and
Sonata are recorded on CD, though I don't have that information at hand.

Best,
Paul Wesley Hofreiter, Chair
The Lawrenceville School Music Dept.