From:
Esther Sims <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:20:10 +0100
Nick wrote:

>I would love to help, sound's like my kind of problem...  But I'm not sure
>by what you mean by career path, could you specify?

When I mention career paths, I am referring to where the main source
of income came from.  In Haydn's case, he was well looked after in the
Esterhazy residence, but was restricted in the type of music that he wrote,
which was to satisfy the tastes of the prince.  Mozart's case was very
different as he experienced financial difficulty whilst travelling and did
not have the same security and home comforts as Haydn (apart from when he
took up his post as organist in Salzburg).  The question I asked is a very
in-depth involved one, but I just wondered what peoples' views were on the
matter.

Esther Sims
University of Exeter