From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:25:46 -0400
Bob Kasenchak on the BSO::

>This is all very very interesting, as I'm about to move out there in the
>heart of it all to see what the deal really is.  I must say I can't wait to
>live in a city with a real orchestra...but the general opinion of the BSO
>[on this list] is so low right now that, well, I'm not sure what to think.

I haven't lived in Boston since the early 80's, but Boston cares about
music.  The BSO is still a first class orchestra with a glorious heritage.
Frankly, I'm usually not sure what value there is in heritage, but in this
case I think you will find there is pressure on the BSO to sustain a
heritage rich in the support of new music.  It has a history of supporting
and playing important music, much of that American music.  Look at the
commissions Kousevitsky made and premiered during his tenure as Music
Director.  It also has a heritage of being a great orchestra, and there are
those that understand the difference between first class and great, and
want to see a return to the latter.  For me, that's more that superb
musicianship, but also includes dynamic programming which includes the old
repertoire we are all familiar with, but also stretches our musical
intellect and challenges our personal status quo in music.  I've mentioned
before I've sat through many concerts in Symphony Hall wondering why I'm
there.  But those concerts make many of the others that much better.

Personally, I regret that I have not recently heard many music performances
from Boston that are as memorable as those I remember from earlier days.
I don't believe I am the only one, and I trust you will find many in Boston
both knowledgeable and demanding enough to pressure the BSO organization to
respond to the pressures of its heritage.

"Tom Connor" <[log in to unmask]>