From:
Mary Esterheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 19:23:21 -0500
I would prefer that audiences not applaud between movements but it is
really annoying when they applaud during movements as sometimes happens
- the orchestra pauses and some in the audience think it's the end of
the movement.  Perhaps more education is needed to explain the purpose
of listing the music in the program.

On a related note, it might be a good idea to collect cell phones prior
to a concert.  Despite announcements before the concert about turning
off cell phones, unwrapping cough/candy drops wrappers, etc.  etc.,
audiences still allow their cell phones to ring - which is really very
distracting especially when that is heard above the music being played
(in quiet sections of music).  Last concert I attended was intruded upon
at least 5 times by cell phone rings.  Or possibly the hall could have
a blinking sign "turn off cell phones" that would flash periodically
while the orchestra is playing something like airlines "fasten your seat
belts".

Mary Esterheld