From:
Robin Mitchell-Boyask <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:29:37 -0700
Deryk Barker observes re DG

>Well it certainly wasn't me.  Herbie's early 80-s digital recordings (The
>Planets, Nielsen 4) were some of the nastiest-sounding recordings I've ever
>heard.  Given that he had total control over what was released, I suspect
>his hearing was starting to go.

Well, I'm glad someone as esteemed as Deryk said that and not me.  I can't
think of a worse recorded Mahler 9th, for example, than the second HvK.
(Then again, DG's sound for the Abbado VPO is inexplicably awful.  I was
at the magnificent concert where it was recorded AND have an ORF tape of
the event; both sound nothing like the DG recording -- not to mention the
horrendous number of mistakes from the VPO that needed patching.  Never
trust "live" VPO recordings!)

Robin Mitchell-Boyask
Temple University
Philadelphia PA 19122