From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:22:45 -0400
Mark E. Ehlert wrote:

>I know that for the opening credits an (abridged) version of the "Dies
>Irae" from Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique was performed.

This was actually a reworking of the Dies Irae by Wendy Carlos on Moog
synthesizer, with the voice of her then artistic partner Rachel Elkind
doing the vocals.  Carlos actually stitched together the music in the
original score, most of which was never released because Kubrick ended
up not using it in the film.  If you can find the lp of what was released
of the score (Warner's LP3449) you will hear only a taste of Carlos' work.

Regarding the 1932 Al Bowlly/Ray Noble recording of "Midnight, with the
Stars and You," although this was very effective in the film it was typical
of Kubrick's anachronistic use of music to suit his purposes (remember how
the Schubert trio marred the otherwise picture perfect, museum quality
decor of his mid-18th century costume drama "Barry Lyndon"?).  Kubrick went
to great lengths to create an accurate visual dimension in his films but,
sadly, was very often careless with the music he selected to go with it

John Dalmas