From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:34:55 +0100
To what extent did JC Bach Influence Mozart and you have a JCB keyboard
sonata and Mozart's quintet for piano and wind to use as examples.

How does Beethoven generate increasing excitement in a fugal passage of
one of his Razumovsky quartets (starts with a solo violin rushing around
all over the place G  GAGFED   FGFEDC   GAGFEDEFDGFEDCDE etc.)

How does Charles Ives reflect the meaning of the text in the music in
'Down East'?

Then one about talking about the methods of development Legrenzi uses in
one of his sonatas.  A fugal passage.

Then, How does Handel show the form of an aria from Gulio Cesare with the
use of tonality?

I had 2 hours to do all of this.  If I had taken it a few years ago I
would have had 1 and a half.  There is no doubt that Music A Level is the
most difficult of all A levels.  I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics,
Chemistry, General Studies and Music and Music is more work than the others
put together.  You could spend a week revising from the Physics textbook
and come out with an A, but no way can you do any of the Music Syllabus
like that.  I was sitting next to English Lit students taking their exam
who had 3 hours to do their paper and had a lot less to do!  And I had
to write just as coherently as them!

And this was just one exam.  If you factor in the Techniques paper where I
had to write a melody to a figures bass of a Telemann piece and harmonise
a chorale melody in the style of Bach, and the Listening papers AND the
recital AND the practical exam...

Why is this?

David Stewart