From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:19:30 +0100
Mitch Friedfeld responds to Alastair Scott:

>>Who on earth went to the Friday ones?
>
>It was a different society then.  Not only did classical music have a
>much more important role, but there were far fewer two-income families.
>In a city like New York, you didn't have to strike gold with a huge
>percentage of people to fill a hall, or come close to it.  No daytime
>soap operas, less alternate entertainment, etc.

This is very well put indeed!  We can't assume that what we do now would
always have been.  Audiences were almost certainly bigger then, and as
Mitch says, they didn't have as much choice.  Nor were there class based
assumptions of what music should be.  And people actually did go to the
same concert twice if they could, bring their kids, parents, workmates
etc.  People used to work 6 days a week and much longer hours than would
be legal now, yet they managed somehow to fit music in.  At matinees,
you didn't have to dress up, and prices were low.  Sometimes I wonder
if they functioned as dress rehearsals.  It's fascinating "how" people
listen and how listening practices change.  I wonder if in this 24/7
online era, there might be more flexibility and more matinees.  But
social expectations, tighter labour laws, insurance etc.  might stop
that.

Anne