From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:17:54 -0800
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>1) I wonder how many times performers eschew repeats, or a repeat, on
>purely physical grounds.  I'm not a string player, but I've heard, for
>instance, that the Schubert Great Symphony is very tough on bow arms. ...
>
>Obviously, it could be argued that performers taxed in this fashion
>shouldn't play the works in question.  I don't take that position.
>Obviously, some would.

I, for instance.  If you can't do a triple toe-loop, don't be a figure
skater, and if you can't play the repeats, don't be a musician.

>Is it possible that a repeat doesn't mean "do this again" but rather "you
>may do this again?"

This has been brought up before.  Those composers who wished their repeats
to be considered optional could and did say so.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic