From:
Darrell Acree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:47:28 EDT
Dubravka Tomsic is Slovenian, born in Dubrovnik in 1940 and gave her
first recital at age five!  She studied at the Julliard and in 1957 gave
a recital at Carnegie Hall which so impressed Artur Rubinstein, he took
her on as a pupil.  She studied with Rubinstein for two years, then
returned to Europe, winning many competitions and beginning an illustrious
career.  She more recently returned to America, performing with major
Symphony Orchestras to high acclaim.  The New YorkSunday Times had a major
article about her a few years ago and recently, I think, Gramophone.  I had
the great pleasure of hearing her play in 1996 in her Washington, DC debut
at the William Kapell International Piano Competition and Festival at the
University of Maryland, where she was an invited guest.  She played a
program of Scarlatti, Beethoven's Waldstein, Srebotnjak and Ravel, which
was superb.  Her recordings cover a vast repertoire, from the Beethoven,
Chopin, Grieg, Brahms, Mozart and Schumann Concerti to Bach, Scarlatti,
Debussy and Brahms solo works.  She evidently has recorded the complete
Beethoven Concerti, which I don't think have been released yet.  I
eagerly await it.  She is a marvelous and unassuming talent, with a
great sensitivity and strength and deserves greater recognition.  She
has recorded for Stradavari, Critic's Choice, PILZ, Pentagon Classics,
Koch and Vox.  You wil not be disappointed in any of her recordings and
I highly reccomend them all!

Darrell Acree