From:
Renato Vinicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:23:32 -0200
Donald Satz wrote:

>Beethoven's Diabelli Variations is, imho, one of the greatest masterpieces
>in the classical music repertoire.  He was provided a "nothing" tune,
>asked to compose one variation for it, and ended up with 33 variations.
>But his variations were not of the usual variety.  They were mathematically
>developed and represent a Beethoven musical language of his own.  This work
>is on the same highly creative level as the late string quartets and piano
>sonatas.

I recently bought Beethoven's Diabelli Variations with Igor Lebedev
(Audiophile) and it seemed good.  It is a wonderful piece and I want to
stay these next six months hearing it, as I did with Hammerklavier and
other Beethoven sonatas.  I really can't like very much a music until I
don't get accustomed to it.  I need to hear it twenty times without great
pleasure and just then I start to get involved with the music and become
to appreciate it.  I see I need to know it by heart, first.

I expended four hours on the Internet searching for a Guide to listening
the Diabelli Variations but I couldn't find any one.  Many of them with
just some few information but no one really relevant on it's analysis.
Just the default information.  Some text that would explain Var.  by var.,
each one of them.  I have some Guides of BBC, like the Beethoven's sonatas,
Schubert's sonatas, Mozart's Chamber Music, or Schumann's Piano Pieces.
I am looking for something like that, about this work, on the Net.  Do
anybody know where I can find that guide?

Thank you,

Renato Vinicius