From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:03:42 -0700
John Dalmas ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Perhaps it was Sousa's father, John Antonio Sousa, who had been taught
>by Brahms' and Bruckner's teacher.  The elder Sousa was born in Spain
>(of Portuguese parents), and was more influential in his son's musical
>upbringing than either Esputa or Benkert.  Like Deryk, I am curious to
>get to the bottom of this one.

Baker's says little about his father, Grove mentions that he was in the
marine band.  Grove also says the JPS decided not to get a European musical
education, which I'd have thought pretty much ruled out his having any of
the same teachers as Bruckner and/or Brahms.

However, Grove also mentions that Sousa's mum was from Bavaria; wonder
how/where his parents met and if this could be relevant.

Deryk Barker