From:
Robert Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:46:29 +0200
Hi fellow classical musicians,

Today is the official launch of an effort to bring order to the chaotic
classical music data on the web.  With the goal of making a database of
composers, compositions, musicians and all things classical, where the
data and the applications that access the data are open source and free
to the public, I present you the Classical Music Public Database.

   http://classical-music-public-database.com

Your help is needed!  The base set of data that we have comes from
the Collectorz.com music database[1], and though it contains a large
amount of interesting data, it is not yet ready for the purpose of
being an official reference for composers, compositions, musicians
and so forth.  What is needed is human eyeballs!  If you head over to
http://classical-music-public-database.com, you will find the first in
a series of games/exercises that you can do, just by clicking, that will
help us organize the huge amount of data that we have.

First up, we need to weed out all of the non-classical genres.  You will
be shown a genre, and following the guidelines on the site, you can press
"Yes", "No", "Not sure" to indicate whether it is a classical genre or
not.  This is amazingly helpful!  We've already sorted through 12,000
genres, pulling out the classical related genres and throwing away the
rest, but there are still over 10,000 to go.

Thanks for your help!  Cheers,

Robert Douglass
Classical-Music-Public-Database.com
[1] http://www.collectorz.com/musicdatabase/