From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:02:59 -0800
Len responded to me:

>The "riot" at the premiere of La Sacre had more to do with the
>choreography than the music.

I did not know this.  I was using the reference to illustrate the idea
that music of this kind can be difficult, particularly for those bred on
classical music that is less violent in tonality (and rhythym of course.)
(It is not difficult for me; I find it very accessible and often moving.
But I recall one classical music enthusiast's response to my declaration
of intention to go see La Sacre in concert as simply "why?" I gather there
are many who share this attitude.)

It is popular to call whatever occurred a riot.  I thought I had read
that it was really a rather violent argument that erupted between different
groups of people as they were leaving the performance, and that it was
about the music.  Has anyone more detailed information about this? (I
prepare to go search google after I send this.)

Michael