From:
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:32:40 -0400
 [Hello, I'm new to the list but thought I'd go ahead and jump in  ;-) ]

D. Stephen Heersink wrote:

>The label charges only $5 per disc; therefore, it cannot be really good.
>Oh, the contrary.

I certainly agree.  CD's cost less than $1 to produce.  A coworker who
plays in a rock band told us the other day that their new album will cost
them $.87 per CD.  These large record labels can afford to lower the costs
even further.  It seems to me Naxos is just passing on the savings by not
charging the exhorbitant prices of other labels.  Why pay $17 when the
actuall cost of production per CD probably doesn't excede $5?

>If monk fish is the poor man's lobster, then Naxos is the poor man's DG,
>Phillips, London, etc., and in many cases superior to them.

Very true, especially for beginning enthusiasts.  And the Naxos selection
is wonderfully broad.  When I couldn't find a recording of Arnold Bax a few
years ago, Naxos came to the rescue.  The quality is just as good as any CD
I own, and the performance is superb.  In fact, I'd take it any day over
the DG Tchaik 5 with Karajan and Vienna for instance...

Alan Lynn