From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:44:30 +1100
Melinda Najera was:

>... looking for a really good recording of Holst's Second Suite.

There are two I know of, both conducted by Frederick Fennell.  Mercury
462 960-2 with the Eastman Wind Ensemble contains both Holst suites,
Vaughan Williams' Folk Song Suite and Toccata Marziale, Mennin's Canzona,
Persichetti's Psalm and Reed's La Fiesta Mexicana.  The CD runs for 71:11
and is in mono, but sounds better than many stereo recordings.  Telarc
CD-80038 with the Cleveland Symphonic Winds contains both Holst suites,
a fantasia by Bach and Handel's Royal Fireworks Music.  It's in stereo,
great recording and runs 43:32.

Without checking, I assume that both are still available.  The only
reason I own the Telarc CD is that I bought a secondhand copy of it the
day before I read that the Mercury one had been re-released.  Unless you
must have stereo, the Mercury gives you a lot more music, much of it not
otherwise available.  But the Telarc will do.

Richard Pennycuick