From:
Mark Landson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:06:55 -0600
Charles L. L. Dalmas wrote:

>My second point was that the vast majority of people today don't want
>to expend the effort to try to understand either experimental pop or
>classical.

If someone created a new dish detergent, do you think it should be the
public's responsibility to "seek out" a better dish detergent than the one
they are happy with? No.  That's why we have marketing.  New and Improved!
and all that.  Makes your dishes sparkle!  With the symphony, though, we
just expect people to pay 25 or 50 bucks to hear something that they may
hate, with little chance of escaping without embarrassment.  And that it's
their duty to the cause of art to do so.

Mark Landson, composer
http://LandsonMusic.com