From:
Renato Vinicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:43:48 -0200
Dave wrote:

>Some years ago a friend of mine (Hamradio) sent me the Grace Castagnetta's
>Concerto in f (piano solo) transcription.  I had been (during many years)
>expecting a *courageous* pianist able to cope with such work.  Well, about
>a week ago I found a Stradivari CD (1988) with Norman Krieger playing the
>Castagnetta's transcription.

I am very fan of Gershwin, but just since my 18 (10 years ago), and I
didn't know that!  Isn't there any recording of the "original" score of it?
Why, is it so difficult? More than Prokofiev 3third?

I want to buy the opera Porggy and Bess, maybe you can sugest me a
recording.  I know it from non-original versions, and just parts.  I've got
fan of this music hearing a transcription for guitar and haspychard, played
- marvelously - by Oscar Peterson and Joe Pass, and it is a wonderfuul
recording IMO.  I didn't like it with Milles Davis.  I heard just once the
original version - plyed as opera - of the Summertime.  My god!  The melody
is the simpliest as possible, but what a difference Gershwin's original
arrange makes!!!  A "Plus" that Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, Milles Daves or
any other I ever heard singing Summertime have reached.

Best Regards,
Renato Vinicius