From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 14:35:13 -0700
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Neither it is necessary to have perfect pitch to be able to at least make
>qualifyed guesses what tone it is.  A person without perfect pitch can to
>good extent train his ability to recognize tones with focusing on the tones
>colours.

I agree with Mats completely.  I believe I have very good relative pitch
and have no problem recognzing intervals and the like.  I wonder sometimes
if I have some form of absolute pitch.  It seems that no matter what I
can always hear a G above middle C but I can't do the same with any other
notes from the octave.  However, if asked to sing a different note without
hearing anything, I can hear the g in my head and then sing any other note
by interval relationship.  If asked to sing a B flat I can hear the G and
then sing the note a minor third above or major sixth below.  I know that
*this* is not absolute pitch as I am deriving the tones from the single
G whih I CAN hear.  What I would like to know is just what kind of
absolute/relative/perfect pitch is this.  I just tell people I have
*imperfect* pitch!

Wes Crone