From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 20:24:50 -0400
Bob Draper wrote:

>It's hard to judge for certain on such a small available discography
>but I get the feeling that Dittersdorf was a composer who had ideas
>but  didn't have the techniques to put them into practice.
>
>Like all such composers every so often he came up with some something
>good like the symphonies in question.

Strange, I too give Dittersdorf mixed reviews, but a different mixture.
I think his quartets are delightful.  I can't say I've heard much else of
his, but what I have heard, including some orchestral works that never left
enough of an impression on me for me to identify now, I found dull and
unimaginative, even though, remembering the quartets, I was initially
prepared to like them.

Walter Meyer