From:
Richard Tsuyuki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:30:35 -0400
Being a relative novice in comparative listening, I sometimes read
reviews criticizing recordings as being "too slick", "too polished",
"shiny" or even "self-serving" (!).  This seems to be common in jazz and
rock recordings as well as classical music.  In my inexperienced and
simplistic view, recordings are either clear, or not (e.g., staticky,
muffled, etc.) -- and I tend to associate "slickness" with clarity.
Obviously there is much more to it than that.  I get the feeling that
when sound is too pristine it is considered artificial or lacking in
individuality or "heart" or something.  But does that mean that when
producing a recording you *try* to make it less clear, less sharp?
I must be missing some variables.  Would anyone care to comment?

Thanks,

Richard Tsuyuki
Virginia, USA