From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 21:21:40 +0000
I have to agree with Dave Harman concerning musical education and exposure
in public schools.  Of course, the more affluent the school district, the
more likely there will be some degree of music education.  However, that's
the exception.  Neither my children nor my grandson ever received musical
training in their public schools.

When school monies get tight, music is one of the first casualties.
Although I understand the reasoning behind it, I also feel that the
deletion of music in the schools leads to a less humanistic and spritual
environment.

My wife is a counselor at an elementary school(grades 1-5).  She has
found that when troubled children are in her office, they tend to calm
down greatly if she plays some soothing music on her portable cd player.
But it's all based on what to do with limited financial resources.  I can't
expect a school music program to continue when the money is not available
to update old and obsolete academic materials.

Let's be realistic - music education is not a big deal to most parents,
teachers, or administrators.  About the best system I've been involved
with was in the Louisville, Kentucky public school system which had one
high school dedicated to students interested in high art.  The other high
schools in Louisville gave the students nothing in the way of music except
for a band which was only considered important because of its connection to
athletic events.

Don Satz