From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:44:15 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>C19-early C20.  Steve may well be writing his review of the CD, but in
>the meantime, I'd appreciate any other information about this composer.

My first encounter with his music was a privately made LP.  It featured
his Concert Piece for piano and orchestra and a group of piano pieces
"Cowboy's breakdown, Tango Valse Characteristiques, Op.18.  I rather
like the music, late Romantic.

Collins: Educated Hochschule fur Musik in Berlin.  Studied composition
with Bruch and Humperdinck, piano with Ganz and composition with Borowski.
He was fine pianist who for a time was the accompanist of Schumann-Heink.
As a soloist and conductor he appeared with the St.  Louis and Minneapolis
Symphonies.

To my ears his music is late German romanticism touched with some interest
in modality.

Hope this helps.

Karl