From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:42:07 -0700
Edgar Beach discovers:

>I recently received a recording of Brahm's German Requiem with John Eliot
>Gardiner conducting an orchestra whose name was French but I believe
>translated to "The Orchestra of Revolution and Romance"

Orchestre Re'volutionnaire et Romantique, I believe.

>This is the first I have heard of this Orchestra.  I loved the name.
>There were no liner notes on my copy so I know nothing of them Does anyone
>on the list know of them? Do they have other recordings? Their name
>intriqued me.

A quick check to my last Artist Issue reveals that Gardiner is the only
conductor for this orch, and that all of their recordings are on Archiv
or Philips.  They really seem to like Beethoven, requiems (Faure, Brahms,
Verdi), plus a bit of other French stuff.  Great name, I agree.

>What other orchestras have similar exotic names.....or even better, what
>present day orchestras should probably change their name to something more
>than just the name of some city?

I've always been a fan of (the name of) Stokie's old Symphony of the Air.

Bob K.