From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 02:10:39 +0200
Jon Lewis wrote of Casadesus' Debussy:

>Well, I wanted to hear those for years, and then fairly recently Sony
>finally released them, but then the reviews bandied terms such as "Gallic
>refinement" and "objectivity" about...  terms which for me usually turn out
>to mean "too literal", "pretty to a fault" or "bland".  So I held off on
>buying them.  But as I mentioned with Gieseking, critics and commentators
>often describe things in terms of recieved knowledge and not in terms of
>how they actually sound, so I do remain curious about Casadesus' Debussy.
>Please tell me more, dear sir.

Well, it's been years since I heard them last and I never thought he quite
reached the heights of Gieseking in this repertoire but I thought it very
good indeed, comparable in style and spirit to his Mozart concertos (but
his Debussy doesn't sound like Mozart....sigh, how do I work my way out
of this one? ;) Come to think of it, I will give some of them a spin and
compare then with Gieseking's version.  I have them on LP only.

Philip