From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:49:06 GMT
Kevin Sutton writes:

>Well, the Cleveland IMHO played some pretty mean Beethoven, but on the
>whole, I find Telarc to be one of the dullest labels in the market.
>Pristine, (and dull) recordings of the most standard of repertoire.

I don't have many Telarc recordings, and I've yet to figure out what is so
wonderful about the Telarc sound.  The Telarc discs I do have sound fine,
but I don't think they are generally better than other labels.

I do think highly of two regular Telarc recording artists, Charles
Mackerras and Martin Pearlman's Boston Baroque.  Mackerras's Mozart
symphony cycle is excellent, and he conducts very good performances of the
Mozart piano concertos (although saddled with John O'Connor).  Mackerras is
also traversing Mozart's operas to good reviews, and his set of the Brahms
symphonies was well received.

The Boston Baroque is one of the fine period instrument bands around.
They took a few lumps as to critical response to Bach's Mass in B minor,
but I felt that the performance was about in the middle of the pack for
period instrument recordings of this monumental work.

Are there any other Telarc artists that you like highly? Robert Shaw
has made many recordings for the label, but his repertoire is not on my
wavelength.

Don Satz