From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:18:29 -0700
Don Satz checks in:

>Here are some new releases that discriminating tastes will not be able to
>do without:
>
>1.  As part of their Bach series, Hanssler is releasing some organ discs.
>And, major surprise, Rilling is not the performer.  It's Kay Johannsen who
>I've heard great things of from ARG and one acquaintance.  Has Bob heard
>these recordings?

Yup.  Hadn't gotten around to posting opinions.  I'm not that
discriminating an organ music connoisseur (yet) to give an informed
opinion, but I sure liked the "Scales from Weimar" CD (volume 91) very
much.  Except this volume features Martin Lu:cker instead of Johannsen.

Johanssen plays on the "Masterpieces from the Weimar Period" (volume 93).
Included are BWV 542, 727, 706, 534, 768 & 532.  Good stuff.  Again, the
"sound" seems to be the most cohesive thing about the whole set so far.

Sorry, still haven't gotten to the Cantatas.

Don goes on:

>Is Bob leaving the land of enchantment for the sophistication of the big
>city?

Yup.

>Will he find the savvy woman who he could only dream of in Santa Fe? What
>will he find? I see a day-time soap opera in the making.

I see many years of debt in the making.  Those darn conservatories sure
do charge a lot of dough.  I'm betting my life (literally) that it'll be
worth it.  Big downside: no more promos...gonna have to go to the Tower
like everybody else.

Bob K., counting the days