From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:23:58 -0700
Bob Yoon ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I'm looking at getting Bruckner 7th and 8th and I'm considering Celi's
>recordings.  Currently, I have Steinberg and Knabbersbutch and I hate them
>both.  I heard Barenboim and the CSO doing the 8th live and I loved it.
>Unfortunately, this recording is no longer available.  Only his Berlin one
>is available.  How do these compare? Could anyone provide insight on the
>Celi recordings? And does anyone have any other recommendations?

OK, from the top...

I don't know the Barenboim/CSO, but the BPO Teldec is pretty good.
Although unless you're wedded to stereo, you'd be better going to the
fons et origo of DB's Bruckner and get Furtwaengler's apocalyptic 1944
VPO recording.  Available on M&A and others.

Alternatively, in slightly better sound, one of the 2 1949 BPO versions:
one is in the 2nd of the two EMI boxes of early Bruckner recordings and
the other is on Testament.

If the BBC Legends line is available in your area, then don't hesitate,
but snap up the LSO/Horenstein from the 1970 proms.  The only time JH ever
conducted the Haas edition (he conducted the premiere recording of the
Nowak, in 1955 on Vox and well worth having), it is a reading of intense
vision and breadth.  The accompanying BBCO SO 9th is not in the same league
alas and JH was apparently still furious with the orchestra - who did not
play their best - some weeks later.

For the 7th my favourite versions currently are by Rosbaud (Vox) and
Eichhorn (Camerata and hard to find).  Blomstedt's Dresden account is
their equal but I believe it's OOP right now.

Now to Celi:  I think his Bruckner is extraordinary, but I waver between
thinking that they are interpretations of enormous insight and spirituality
and thinking that he is a highly successful con-man.  Maybe, as IMHO with
Andy Warhol, genius and con-artistry can co-exist.  (Indeed, Orson Welles,
a cinematic genius if ever there was, seemed to believe himself little more
than a con-man)

I certainly wouldn't recommend his 7th or 8th as first or only recordings.
I've not heard the Munich 3-6, although I believe that there are those who
claim his insights are far more convincing in the earlier symphonies, but
his 7th and 8th are VERY VERY SLOW (although there is a never-released BPO
video of the 7th which is even slower).

Interestingly, I suspect that my feelings about these performances
depend more on my own moods than on anything else.  They don't have that
transcendence which can overtake one whatever one's mood and captivate
completely.

OTOH if you're in the mood for a lengthy spiritual experience, then SC can
fit the bill (or do a bloody good imitation thereof).

There is only one way to find how you respond to Celibidache's late
Bruckner (by which I mean his later performances, his earlier ones -
preserved on a number of bootlegs - are far more contenionally paced)
and that is to hear them for yourself.

Deryk Barker