From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:12:46 -0400
James Tobin wrote:

>And Lincoln's words in Copland's Lincoln portrait are more arresting than
>the music.

I thought I was the only one who thought consciously of this distinction.
Sure, now anyone thinking about it would have to agree.  But because we
are listening to music, we assume it is the music that is producing the
emotional effect.  Here, it certainly is not.  It is the poetic words.

This is also true of Copland's "Fanfare for a Common Man" where the words
of Jefferson "The same God who gave us life gave us liberty." is more
poetic than the music.

Andrew E. Carlan
Standing up for Nielsen