From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:19:07 -0500
Dave Lampson reports

>The latest entries in National Recording Registry at the Library
>of Congress ...
>
>There's spoken word and rare jazz performances, as well as a few classical
>recordings I thought some list members might find interesting:
>
>"Messiah," Eugene Ormandy, conductor; Richard Condie, choir
>director; Mormon Tabernacle Choir; Philadelphia Orchestra  (1958)

One of the worst Messiahs ever recorded.  The MTC sings their usual
rhythmic slush.  A choir that size has no business with the fleet and
flexible numbers like "And He shall purify" and "His yoke is easy," which
depend on rhythmic precision and a light grace to make their effect.
At least at that time, the MTC was known for a massive sound, almost no
sense of rhythm, and a rock-'em sock-'em approach phrasing and dynamics.
HOW (or even why) did anybody consider this a contender?  I can think
of many better recordings by Ormandy and many better, and in the long
run more significant, American recordings of Messiah.

Steve Schwartz