From:
Maciej Dziekiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:02:52 +0200
Danielle Woerner wrote,

>Penderecki??? If so -- funny, I was just interviewing a local conductor
>for a feature, who mentioned (in passing, off-topic) that while she
>was in Poland a lot of Poles opined that he was not the best or most
>interesting living Polish composer, just happens to be the best known in
>the west.  Will go back to her for names and pass them on if inquiring
>minds want to know.

To help you with this here are the composers that real music lovers find
the very best in Poland:

dead:

1. Chopin
2.Szymanowski
3.Lutoslawski

living:

1. Pawel Szymanski

big gap (...)

2. Krzysztof Penderecki
3. Henryk Gorecki
4. Wojciech Kilar

So most probably it will be Pawel Szymanski who will enter for centuries
the first group.  His music is far superior to the rest, it's just not
promoted sufficiently as Szymanski himself is a real composer who is only
interested in composition, on the contrary to others who spend loads of
time on earning more and more money by numerous engagements and
performances.

Maciej Dziekiewicz