From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:33:37 -0700
Billy Kitson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>The worst (ONLY) memory slip I saw/heard was:- the young Pianiste got
>totally "lost" & the Orchestra and Conductor all slowly ground to a
>disorganized "Halt"!!  The Conductor kept his cool - said very Very
>Emphatically "Right start again @ letter B"; and "off we went like a
>Bought One"!!

Most famous example was when Schnabel was playing a concerto with the Halle
under Harty.  At one poiunt Schnabel had a memory lapse and missed out two
bars.

Quick as a flash, harty held up two fingers to the orchestra, made a
slashing gesture with his hand across his throat and, as one man, the
orchestra all skipped two bars.

Afterwards Schnabel, somewhat condescendingly, congratulated Harty on his
orchestra, saying that they were almost the equal of the Berlin Phil.

"On this occasion" said Harty "two bars better!"

>I am a little baffled as to why Pianists/Soloists do Not have a Score and
>a Page-turner handy - The Koran is reputed to claim "All is Vanity"!!

And I though I wasn't a religious man, but I knew this one.

   "Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is
   vanity"

      Ecclesiastes, 1:2-5./

"The Koran is reputed" forsooth!

Deryk Barker