From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 23:41:55 -0400
Robert Peters wrote:

>I am very satisfied with this.  But there is nothing but the joy of first
>discovery.  I am a teacher and always delighted about the first reactions
>of pupils to poems I know for so long now.  They make me forget being the
>expert for a while.

A few years ago, during the Gershwin centennial, I heard on the radio some
special recordings on oversized disks of final rehearsals from *Porgy and
Bess* and I remembered a sudden frisson at realizing that those artists,
most, if not all of them probably dead, were, at the time they were
singing, the first to be hearing this wonderful music, which is today so
much to part of our lives.

Walter Meyer