From:
Fred Fry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:43:46 EST
William Hong said:

>Any thoughts today from the List on this, the centenary day of the birth
>of Aaron Copland?  Favorite works, performances, observations?

There was a live broadcast on NPR's Performance Today from 2:00-4:00 PM EST
from the Coolidge Auditorium of the Library of Congress in Washington, DC
for the Centennial that I was lucky enough to attend.  This is where the
Ballet Appalachian Spring was premiered in 1944.

The broadcast may be delayed in other areas.

Performers were Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, the US Marine Corps band
(recorded earlier), pianist Michael Boriskin and soprano N'kege Simpson.

Works included Quiet City, Appalachian Spring, Fanfare for the Common Man,
Hoedown from Rodeo, and other shorter pieces.

Very nice program if you get a chance to hear it.
More information at http://www.npr.org/ and http://www.loc.gov/

Fred Fry