From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 05:21:43 -0400
Aaron Rabushka mentioned his own Ciaconna Variata and asked:

>Has anyone ever run across a chaconne by Reger? I would think that that
>would be a form that would have fascinated him.

I can think at least of the one in his set of Preludes and Fugues for solo
violin, opus 117 no 4.  I have never heard it, Mateja Marinkovic's
excellent complete recording of the Preludes and Fugues (CD ASV) does not
include it.  And I must confess that I only have the score of the opus 131
set at home.

Fartein Valen's 4th symphony ends with a chaconne, I think.  I find his
symphonies extremely beautiful.  (Maybe I should add that a member of
the French-speaking classical ml regard them as dull sub-Schoenberg.
I couldn't disagree more, but let's quote different views!)

Eduard Tubin's 6th also ends with a chaconne, another rare instance of a
fully convincing non-tonal chaconne movement.

Of course there is the first part of Bartok's solo violin sonata, as well
as Ferneyhough's Intermedio alla ciaccona for solo violin.

Kenins wrote a wonderful chaconne for solo violin, which I really want to
play as soon as possible.  Moses Pergament composed a beautiful, sombre
one as well, based on Kol Nidrei (it is modelled on Bach's D-minor chaconne
but does not include a D-major section, of course).  And there is a short
chaconne in Osterc's Partita for cello and piano (a transcription for viola
and piano, made by Osterc IIRC, can be heard on Franc Avsenek's Anthology
of Slovenian viola music, a Slovenian RTV CD).

I hope it helps,

Thanh-Tam Le