From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:54:48 -0700
Brian Hiatt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This applies well to CM.  Once you start to become familiar with the
>structure and complexity of a piece of music you can delve deeper into the
>genus behind the creative process.  That does not stop you from, in the
>beginning, appreciating a work by Mozart.  It just underscores how, when
>you let yourself, you can appreciate his genius at another level.
>
>Any thoughts?

Several.  The principal one is to agree that familiarity with structure,
form, content and above all intent can add enormously to one's
'understanding' and significantly to one's enjoyment of a piece.

Even more crucial, IMHO, is knowing something about the composer, his/her
life and times, the circumstances surrounding his/her creative life, the
influences at work during specific compositional periods etc.  This is very
much the philosophy I adopt when giving concert previews -- the audience
already has a program note which will normally tell them something about
the music -- I try to bring the composer to life with 'human interest'
information.

It has certainly been incredibly important to me over the years, and
the reaction I have had to previews has convinced me it is of similar
importance to at least some other audience members.

I remember vividly doing a preview for Sinopoli/Dresden Staatskappelle's
performance of Strauss' 'Metamorphosen' some years ago in California.
I had been reading a lot of recent reserach on Strauss at the time and
decided to focus my remarks on discussing both sides of the "Strauss was
a Nazi sympathiser" argument.  Between finishing the preview and the
beginning of the concert, an elderly lady approached me in tears, telling
me she had been in the US over 40 years and this was the first time she
heard somebody argue 'for' Strauss in public.  Two other audience members
in the vicinity told me they had never heard anything about the argument,
but would certainly listen to the piece with 'new ears.'

And at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about? Those of us
who have sufficient temerity, interest and/or knowledge to initiate or
particpate in discussions on musical subjects do so with what desire? Mine
-- for years -- has been to try to persuade people there is so much more
out there than yet another 'Eroica' performance -- no matter how good it
may be.

This list, for example, has been a great influence on me in choosing
music to listen to -- music that has been 'new' to me.  Some of it has
been grand, some of it hasn't even had a second hearing (shame on me!) but
little of it would have had a first hearing were it not for someone making
the case for it on this or other lists, or in reviews in 'Fanfare' and the
like.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing if one rushes to conclusions --
as I sometimes tend to.  But to my mind it's a heck of alot better than
ignorance!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA