From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 20:54:09 +0000
Drew Capuder writes:

>Gasp, why is JS Bach so easily dismissed?  So what if he didn't write
>operas, in light of his mastery of large and small-scale choral & vocal
>writing.

I like Drew's thinking.  Steve's "proficiency" in all the major genres
of the time period doesn't relate to any greatness of composing, just
covering all the bases.  If a composer does not care to write operas,
I'm not going to hold it against him/her.  If I was a composer, I wouldn't
write any either.

Anyways, I select Bach as the greatest composer ever.  Why?  Greatest
keyboard music, orchestral music, and music for voice and orchestra.
Also, best mix of emotions and intellect.

Don Satz