From:
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 09:54:41 +0100
The June reviews are now complete in time for the Bank Holiday weekend.

Tony Duggan has surveyed Mahler's third symphony - only the 10th to go!
Marc Bridle has been listening to the Emersons play Shostakovich both on
disc and in live performance.  Ian Lace continues his Puccini survey with
La Rondine Our Guest review from IRR is by Michael Glover appraising a
Chopin recital by Katia Skanavi on the ProPiano label - unusual, so a sales
link has been provided.  Rob Barnett has found another five Crystal discs
with Hovhaness as the link.  Terry Barfoot reviews the Naxos Bruckner
series and we have three contrasting reviews of the Creston symphonies.
Peter Woolf compares recordings of the Nielsen quartets from the Oslo
String Quartet (Naxos) and Zapolski Quartet (Chandos)

In all there are over130 CD reviews with our usual crop of the obscure
e.g. Biarent, Blumenfeld, Bochman, Caplet, Dodgson, Eckard, Farnon,
Herbert, Kerll, Lyon, Standford, Turnbull.  Do try to hear Freddy Kempf
playing Rachmaninov, Vesselina Kasarova's recital disc (Schubert, Brahms,
Schumann) and the delightful collection British Light Music which contains
Eric Fenby's rendition of Ilka Moor baht 'at in the style of Rossini as
well as only the second commercial recording of Arthur Butterworth with his
Path across the Moors.  Also on site we have interviews with Freddy Kempf
and Hans Zimmer (in the Film Music section) as well as a ClassicO session
report from Lewis Foreman

You might like to look at Performance - a new British General Arts site
with which we are associated.  Performance-the Arts Channel is a UK cable
TV channel dedicated to the arts and this is their first venture on the
web.  We are providing some of the content with interviews and general
articles, Classical, Film Music and Jazz CD reviews and live concert
reviews but there's a great deal else besides.  www.performancetv.co.uk

Finally check out our own Seen&Heard section busy as ever under the
editorship of Peter Woolf.  Recent reviews include Meistersinger from
Covent Garden, Pletnev in the Tchaikovsky piano concertos (also available
on CD), Vengerov unaccompanied, Schiff in Bach, Verdi's Ernani, The Munich
Contemporary Munich festival, Bostridge in Britten, Maxwell Davis at the
Barbican to mention just a few recent events (Oh and Riverdance!).  If you
read the article by Stephen Pettitt in the current issue (May 20) of
Classical Music this is the "vacuum" he perceives as existing on the web
for live concert reviews.

Len Mullenger
Webmaster for Music on the Web (UK)
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/