From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:35:55 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I remember Rodzinski as a terrifically exciting interpreter of late
>Romantic (particularly his Tchaikovsky) and Modern music.  His recordings
>seem mostly to have issued on obscure labels only, and there don't seem
>to be a lot of them.

Perhaps after he left the U.S. in the 1950s, but in the 1930s and 1940s
when conducting first the Cleveland Orchestra and then the NY Philharmonic
Rodzinski was one of the mainstays at Columbia Records.  His recordings for
Columbia easily numbered in the dozens

Erica Morini's earlier recording of the Tchaikovsky with Desire Defauw
and the Chicago SO for Victor was much praised.  I am reading a quote from
critic Irving Kolodin who said of the recording "the bite and vigor of her
playing are things to treasure."

John Dalmas